AFP report today, Lazio’s Macedonia forward Goran Pandev claimed in an interview published Wednesday that new Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan is trying to bring him to St. James’ Park.
Pandev’s career is never had any bright spotlight from the press before, despite having a dismal season for the Roman club Lazio, he has scored 38 goals from 121 matches for them in all competitions since his move in 2004. The attacking midfielder admitted he could be tempted away from the Stadio Olimpico if any offer come to his side.
“From what I know, Keegan wants to sign me as soon as possible, but it’s not up to me to decide.” Said the 24 years-old Macedonia star, “Lazio recently decided to hold onto me until the end of June. But in football, nothing is impossible.”
Born July 27, 1983 in Strumica, Goran Pandev is just the second Macedonian player in Italian Serie A, Darko Pančev was the first player who had a brief career with Internazionale in the early 1990s. His favoured position is as a supporting striker.
In Lazio, he is playing behind the striker Tommaso Rocchi. For the Macedonian National Team, Pandev given a free role which he can play anywhere across the midfield in an advanced position. He has 35 Macedonia International caps with 12 goals.
Pandev first spotted to have an approached by Newcastle United in the january transfer window on Wednesday, and possibly becoming Kevin Keegan’s first signing. He had been subject to a bid of around £11.2 million.
“This morning the people from the club told me about the offer from Newcastle,” Pandev told Makedonski Sport yesterday, “Keegan’s club want the negotiations to start soon, but I don’t know anything about the figures and a possible sum.”